We’re back! For a few summers running, we had a lot of fun celebrating, exploring, and occasionally deriding local area and beyond food offerings—pizza, tacos and burritos, all the weird places we’d never eaten but wondered about and now regret (looking at you, iCuisine). We’ve been on hiatus—but now we’re back…and this time we’re eating…well, the title of this explains it pretty clearly: Sandwiches.
Why sandwiches? Well, by our twentieth pie, pizza summer was more than a little painful…. Conversely, sandwiches aren’t (usually) too unhealthy, and sometimes they’re even, like, good for you. More than that, their variety is hugely appealing—meaning we won’t have a baseline sandwich that we’ll try at each place because A) that’s boring and B) we ain’t asking the kind folks at Bánh Mì Mỹ Tho to make us a stinking BLT. And, best of all, and this is one of the great truths in life: you can always find a good sandwich place.
We’ve got a list of local sandwich shops we’re going to be visiting, and we plan to extend out to visit the aforementioned bánh mì shop, Attari Sandwich Shop, Europane, and many, many others. Recommendations are welcome! Our only real rule is that we’re getting sandwiches from sandwich places—not places that happen to have sandwiches tucked away on their menu. Do tortas count? Absolutely. Burritos? Absolutely not. Burgers? No way. Do we have a scoring system? WE DO!
- negative 2 points or lower: eg your sad bologna & mayo on Wonder bread
- negative 1 point–positive 1 point: eg your standard PB&J
- 2-5 points: eg a damn good Pat’s Philly Cheesesteak (wit)
- 6+ points: eg the pantheon-level Xoco’s Milanesa Torta
And…that’s about it. Away we go!
- May 23: The Sand Witch
- May 27: Gene’s Grinders
- May 28/30: Holdaak & Huge Pastry Tree
- June 2: Central Grocery
- June 3, 4, 6, 7: Old German Deli, BJ’s, BOLO, Wolfe’s
- June 11: Bánh Mì My-Tho
- June 13: Papa’s Best Sandwiches and More
- June 15/18: Plaza Produce & Mendocino Farms
- June 19/21: Padua Pasta Makers & Tortas Ahogadas La Guera